Thursday, May 6, 2010

AL RESCATE!

Yesterday I went out of a little lunch surf. Waves were small but it was better than nothing. I grabbed the longboard and caught a couple. I saw something floating in the water but didn't think much of it. It didn't look to be anything interesting at all.
Apparently there was someone closer to it that saw it better than I and paddled over to check it out. It was a pigeon that was wrapped in fishing line and seaweed. The bird was so exhausted that it was just floating there with its head just out of the surface of the water and it let the surfer pick it up. He said "it's a bird!"
So I paddled over and the kid said "If you can get him in I can get something from the pier office to cut him free". I gladly scooped up the bird and put him on the front of my board and started paddling him in. The bird was so tired it just sat on the front of my board and didn't resist at all.
Once into shore I remembered that I had my tool kit in the truck from work. In the tool kit I have clippers that were perfect for removing fishing line from a pigeons foot.
One of the other surfers held my board down on the beach while I walked up the rocks with the bird and got out my tool kit. This poor bird was so wrapped in string that there is no way that it could have freed itself. I was able to cut it all off after about 5 minutes of work and I sat him down on the sand. He just sat down and rested.
Meanwhile one of the other surfers found another pigeon floating in the water. There was nothing tangled on him but we scooped him up and put him next to the other one. This one wasn't looking good at all. Completely weak and frail, I'm not sure he made it.
We found a shady covering of bushes and sat them both in there to rest, recover and dry out. I hope the birds felt better after a little rest and were able to take off again.
It was amazing to me that a couple random surfers have interest in saving the life of a pigeon at the beach. There were lots of onlookers and I had some comments from the old ladies passing by. "Someone has to help the birds, god put us here to help them". I'm not really sure that god put us here to help them and would let them get tangled and nearly drown at the same time. It's a good thing that there's people who have compassion to help out animals, helping because of other humans stupidity. (I am not a fan of fishing line for this reason)
If that kid hadn't noticed that was a bird floating there wrapped up in fishing line he would have drown for sure. Here's to you kid!

1 comment: