Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the process

More specifically, the creative process. The other day Jerm came by and put down some bass tracks on some songs that I wrote. While he was here he mentioned something that was pretty interesting to me about what the point was of recording the music and/or playing shows. What's the end goal? It was striking to me because it wasn't something that I hadn't really given any thought to. I responded something about the mental exercise of it, which I believe to be true.
What I also believe to be true is they enjoyment of the process. The creative process, personally pushing myself to learn to play better and make music. The art form and the mathematical approach to creating music. Blending something so analytical as time and measures while making it interesting to listen to isn't really that easy for me. I can be so regimented in my 4 bars of this and then 4 or 8 bars or that. While trying to incorporate the same techniques that make the music I enjoy in my own music. I'm an amateur, a beginner. I try to ape the bands I enjoy stylistically. I might even try to rip them off more completely if I knew how. (Isn't it strange to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them in the first place is their shit wasn't recycled? - Aesop Rock)
I don't live entirely in a vacuum when it comes to music, I want people to enjoy it. I do enjoy some validation for my creations, I'd be lying if I said any different. Although, I would still create music regardless if anyone was going to hear it. As it is now only a few of my friends have heard my music, I've yet to make a myspace page for it so the same half dozen friends could hear it, or otherwise promote it.
What you can count on is that I'll write a complete record within the next year. I'll make artwork for it and hopefully get some more collaboration from my friends.
Create something today my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment