Thursday, June 24, 2010

Been surfing long?

That was the question from the guy on the semi-battered long board who had caught a couple waves and worked speedily albeit awkwardly down the line. Keep in mind that I rarely initiate a conversation out surfing or anywhere for that matter. It's not that I'm not friendly, I am. I'm just not the type to initiate conversation usually.

"Today?" was my reply.

"In general" he said. Now I'm starting to wonder where this is going.

"About 20 years" I respond. As in, I've been surfing a damn long time, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

"You like fishing?" he asks. Ok, so you are being the friendly sort of chap in the water. That's cool.

"No, I don't fish" I say after paddling back out from taking a wave.

"You are with that watch" he says. Now I see where this is going. Thanks for bestowing your knowledge of the ocean on me, I had no idea that shiny objects can attract predators. Oh wait, I grew up on the gulf, been surfing for 20 years, interned at a marine science center... so thanks for the tip in your condescending manner.

"Yeah, I thought about getting a wrist band to put over it" I said as casually as I could. And I have actually thought about getting a wrist band to cover it up but just never got around to it because yes, predators are attracted to shiny objects in the waters.

"Barracudas man" he said and caught a wave.

BARRA-FUCKIN-CUDAS!!! Seriously? How about BULL SHARKS MAN? Or any kind of shark for that matter, especially juvenile blacktips? Of all the predators to worry about. Barracudas... We aren't reef diving here with speared fish strapped to my leg.

It's just funny that he would come up with barracuda. It's not the most feared predator by far and it surely isn't much of a problem in beach breaks around the world. It's like there was one 70's crappy horror movie based around the barracuda after the success of Jaws to hype up the aura around the fish. Unfortunately for the barracudas publicist, the fervor just never caught on.

And to think I talked to some guy about programming in C+ for GIS applications in the water yesterday. The line up is filled with all kinds I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment